Sunday, April 27, 2014

Bring on the basics

I've been making a lot of basics recently.  T shirts, all knits, simple and rather gratifying, from a couple of basic patterns (both with some mods). Cake, rather than frosting if you like.

To save you from the tedium of pictures of four T shirts against my garden fence, I present to you the results of a little 'photo-shoot' courtesy of my talented friend, Ines (aka Humble Habit).   That gal sure knows how to take a decent picture.

We had a lot of fun scouting (see what I did there?) round her yard for shoot 'locations' and there was even a change of hairstyle and accessories half way through.  But enough about that. Let's get onto the sewing details...

1. Grey Scout T shirt




This is the Scout Tee pattern,which I've made it twice before in a woven, this time in a fairly firm grey cotton jersey from the op shop. Jen has a good tutorial on how to go about making the pattern in a knit. I wanted a slouchy look so I cut the same size as the woven (4 in the shoulders and bust, tapering down to a 0 in the hips) and scooped the front and neckline out. Actually I think I overdid the scooping as this one shows my bra straps a bit but I guess could always wear a tank underneath or just channel my inner Flashdance.

I lengthened the sleeves by about 5cm so I can roll them up if the mood takes me and I did the neckband the same way I do most of my knit necklines: finish one shoulder seam, attach the neckband (1 1/2 inches wide folded in half in this case) then finish the other shoulder.

2. White Scout T shirt



Same as above but slightly longer sleeves and less scooped, more V neckline.   The shape was a bit accidental as I forgot all the knowledge that my pattern drafting teacher imparted about having a neckline curve flat for 2cm at the bottom otherwise you end up with a V neckline.. but it works OK.  I lengthened the arms even more this time for the turn ups - inspired by Grainlines Madewell Tee variation.  Fabric was gifted and is a nice cotton knit.

3. Green Renfrew



Say Cheeeeeese

Probably my least favourite out of the lot as it looks a bit wrinkly in the photos.  Fabric is a ribbed cotton knit from the op-shop with limited amount of stretch. I do like the colour though.  I made the size 4, tapering to 0 in the hips and left off the bands at the hem and arms, finishing  with a twin needle.


4. Black Merino Renfrew


Last, a black T shirt so not much to report, apart from loving the fabric (Merino knit bought from the Fabric store in NZ last year) which, being merino, feels beea-uiful to wear. I actually made this a few months ago and have been wearing it quite a lot, tucked in to skirts as well as with trousers, although not fabulous yellow ones like the pair Ines loaned me. Maybe I should make some!

So there you go: 4 different T shirts, lots of different backyard locations.  I'm ready for Me Made May! (pledge coming up)

Patterns:  Sewaholic Renfrew and Grainline Scout, both used before = free
Fabrics: various op-shopped and gifted knits = $5 and 1m merino =#18
Thread from op-shopped stash
Total = $23












10 comments:

  1. Loving your work! Thanks Ines, a great photo shoot ;) - I really like seeing the 4 versions together, it's refreshing to be able to see the versatility of the pattern in 4 different fabrics & subtle pattern changes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nic. It is fun playing with a basic pattern. And high praise from you, queen of the photo shoots :)

      Delete
  2. These look like the perfect tees! I especially love the look of the white one - so hard to find the perfect relaxed white tee!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by! This pattern does work well in a knit I think and it's sooo comfy too.

      Delete
  3. Oh my goodness, will you look at YOU!! You're positively glowing! You look fabulous in all of them, bravo :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww thanks Jenny. It's mostly down to the great photographer!

      Delete
  4. Whoever your photographer is really captured you! You look stunning in ALL of these pics.
    Oh and the T shirts are alright too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looking gorgeous, helen, and what lovely photos! I love your basics makes... Looking forward to seeing you again soon! x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Helen for the praises, i enjoyed it so much. Anytime sweetie. you look great and are an easy subject and fun to work with. xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great pics, great t shirts! I have just started making some t's and must admit I am hooked!

    ReplyDelete