Monday, October 28, 2013

More stripes: Simplicity 2444 in ponte

We went to a wedding at the weekend.  An awesome wedding full of love, dancing and laughter.  The ceremony was held outside under the trees at Yarra Bend park and of course a new dress was in order. I had a maxi silk Anna planned but Melbourne, being Melbourne decided to deliver some decidedly un Spring-like  weather, with temps hovering at around 16C and light drizzle.  So, instead it had to be a dress that could be worn with tights and a jacket but still wedding-y.   And be something that I could move in for the flash mob dance routine at the reception.  Hell yeah. 



I settled on Simplicity 2444 but this time in a stripy Ponte. I've made this pattern once before for the Eiffel Tower party dress so I knew the fit was good but I wanted to go shorter so I took 5 inches off the length and did a 2 inch hem - so that I can let it down again if I want to wear this dress for work.  I wasn't sure how the stripes would work on the skirt (as it cut on a curve). I did contemplate making it just a pleated rectangle but decided to go with the pattern, although I did cut the CF on the fold, allowing for seam allowances instead of cutting two separate pieces. I made an effort to keep the black stripes at the waist but there is still some funky stuff going on there.  Hopefully in a good way though.

Talking stripes - this is the most stripe matching that I've ever done in a garment and it went OK.  I used my walking foot this time and they are mostly aligned.  Practice makes perfect though. Good job as and I've got another striped Mandy tee cut out and ready to go...   

Being Ponte, the dress didn't really need a zip but I wanted try out an exposed zip. It's not perfect and was a bit tricky (I put it in backwards TWICE) and I'm probably way behind on this trend, but I like the detail it adds.  The Ponte sewed like a dream and I have lots left to make something else, jacket maybe? 

I'm becoming less and less keen on facings and was just about to add a lining but had a head slapping 'doh' moment when I realised that the only lining I had was non-stretch which kind of defeated the point of making a Ponte dress. Instead the neck and armholes are finished with bias tape, hand stitched on the inside.  I hand stitched the hem too  when I realised that I couldn't possibly match the thread because of the stripes. Ah well, I actually don't mind hand sewing. It's kind of relaxing.
This is how I wore it at the wedding - with a black jacket, tights, heeled boots and a fabulous necklace loaned from a friend.  She has the best accessories.   If you look closely in the background you can see the blue bunting - I made about 25m using Veronica darling's tutorial. Why didn't I think of using the overlocker for bunting before? Genius.

Details
Simplicity 2444: Size 10, shortened, pattern used before = free
Fabric: 2m of Ponte from Spotlight $4 (scored for $2/m in the Brunswick closing down sale)
Thread and zip from op-shop stash 20c

Total = $4.20  The wardrobe of bargain dresses continues....

11 comments:

  1. Great dress. Love the bold stripes. You look fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much. All that stripe matching was worth it :)

      Delete
  2. Love it! Really nice how the stripes curve at the back. It looks nice with the blazer over it too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks TJ, that's really nice of you to comment.

      Delete
  3. Fabulous! Nice fabric find (and a steal!), love the curved stripes and the exposed zip - and congratulations to your friends on their awesome wedding.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks fabulous and I love the stripes. Really nice styling the whole outfit too. I really need to get on the Ponte bandwagon. I've had some psychological roadblocks relating to seeing it a bit like crimplene (Nana's pants anyone??), but I love everything I see made up in it, especially your dress!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Stylin', Helen! I love how the pleats of the skirt create a bit of an optical illusion (in the pictures, at least), as on clicking on the 2444 link I was expecting to see curved darts rather than pleats! hehe - it works fabulously though :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can't believe you got that ponti for so cheap - my local store sold out at full price and I missed out because I was waiting for a sale! I really like how the stripes work on the front of the skirt, it's more interesting than a straight rectangle would have been

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ooh this is gorgeous! I love wide stripes and especially in black and white. It would look awesome with some mustard or red tights.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You look FIERCE! This is so epic, H! Love the statement necklace as well :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. You look fabulous! Love everything about it. You always look so modern and fresh :)

    ReplyDelete