To take it for a bit of a test drive I tried out the Mandy Boat Tee which is a free pattern from Tessuti. It was a toss up between that and Grainline's Hemlock Tee but Mandy won out because of the print at copy shop option (although word on the street is that Grainline patterns will soon be available in this format - Horray!)
|We are back to the 'up against the fence in bad light' photos...Ah well, it was good while it lasted.|
|Essentially a big box with arms, but a comfy one. Ignore the large branch in the background. We did some renegade street tree pruning and it wouldn't fit in the green bin.|
This is a bit of a departure from my usual style and I was a bit worried that it would be too shapeless but I do actually really like it and MMSTL said " it suits you" which was nice. It's super-comfy and I think works with skinny jeans or maybe even a mini/shorts. I was a bit concerned that the 'one size fits all' would be too big so I took 1cm out of both the front and back pattern piece and re-drew the shoulder line. No idea whether this is a valid pattern adjustment but it seems to have worked OK. Perhaps it wasn't necessary though as all that excess fabric is designed to flow and fall over the body anyway. I used some cotton op-shop jersey and used steam a seam to match up the stripes at the sides, well almost match up at the sides. Using a walking foot may have helped at this point but I was still bonding with my overlocker.
Construction wise, this tee comes together very quickly, or it would have if my twin needle hadn't decided to go on strike when I was trying to sew the neckline. Grrrr. Difficult needles aside I reckon this could be made from cutting out to sewing in less than an hour. Sewing win.
Pattern: Mandy Tee by Tessuti (Free, printing $3.50)
Fabric: 1.5m stripy cotton jersey, opshop $2
Thread from stash