With at least a week more of temperatures into the 30's here in Melbourne and a gap in my wardrobe for warm-weather separates that will actually go with other stuff, I decided to make a basic black skirt. It's the Kelly skirt that has been all over the sewing blogsphere since it was released last year, with a few lovely recent versions popping up, like Jane's and Anna's. It's a very basic pattern with just a few pieces and I really, really enjoyed making it.
|I'm laughing in this picture because my neighbour's 3 year old daughter is telling me I should 'stand like a statue, holding a book with your arms out'|
|Slightly creased back view|
|Yay! polka dot pockets.|
So, not much to say about the pattern that hasn't been said already: easy to follow, good sizing, nice pleats, flattering shape. I did a smaller hem than suggested because it would have been too short to wear to work, but I do like the look of the deeper top-stitched hem so I might add an inch to the length next time.
Oh, and especially for Circe, here are the 'statue poses'.
|And the ethereal light shone down on the Alma-Kelly combo......|
Pattern, Kelly Skirt by Megan Nielson from Sew Squirrel =$18
1.5m Black linen from stash (Brunswick fabrics) $4/m = $6
10 snaps from Snap Source $3.75 plus part shipping
25cm of printed cotton from Spotlight, $6m = $2
Total cost = $29.75