Thursday, February 2, 2012

My creative space - LittleFB's quilt, finished!


I am very pleased to say that I finally finished LittleFB's quilt that I started back in June last year  It is the  Lemon squares pattern from Fresh Lemon Quilts.  The finished top has been sitting around since July while I got on with other projects and looked at it from time to time thinking "I really must finish that".



I think the main problem was that having spent so long on the top I didn't want to stuff it up by quilting it badly so it stayed on the UFO (that's unfinished objects in the sewing world. I just learnt that recently!) pile for a looooong time.  When LittleFB went on a trip to Europe with his Dad I promised him that I would finish it before he got back.  A deadline. It was just what I needed.
 

As I was a bit stuck on how to quilt it I emailed Faith at Fresh Lemon Quilts, asking for some suggestions on how I could quilt it and she emailed me back the next day with some ideas.  I went with straight line quilting about 1/4 inch from each block horizontally and vertically and a diagonal line through each block from corner to corner in one direction only.


I'm really pleased with the finished product (thanks to MMSTL for doing the holding-up quilt thing in the garden). I love the colours of these fabrics, most of which were bought as a bundle from Fabricworm. The robots in particular are very cute. I used linen as the neutral and although it was a bit slippery to work with it feels really lovely and soft. The back is linen-coloured quilting cotton with a band of fabrics from the quilt in random widths.



The binding is a striped navy cotton that I found in Spotlight, attached following the instructions in Elizabeth Hartmans book  The practical guide to patchwork. If you are new to quilting this book is an excellent resource, with really clear and easy to follow instructions and beautiful projects.  The binding is machine-stitched to the front and hand sewn to the back.  I liked sewing with the stripy binding because it was easy to space the stitches by sewing on each white line.  It was also nice to finish off the quilt this way; somehow it felt that I was putting a little love into it with every stitch.



And because I wanted it to look nice on his bed, I made a matching pillowcase in linen with an off-centre  stripe of some of the quilt fabrics.  It feels lovely and soft to sleep on.

I'm pleased to say that LittleFB loves his new quilt and looks very cute snuggled up under it!

 For more creative spaces have a look here.

7 comments:

  1. Beautiful!

    I used to do the binding the way you did, but it takes so long. I machine sew bindings now and it saves hours. I have a tutorial on the blog if you're interested.

    http://www.dancingwithfrogs.com/2011/01/01/how-to-machine-sew-your-quilt-binding-without-getting-a-line-of-machine-sewing-on-the-front-of-your-quilt/

    Sorry for the long link. I didn't think about that when I was naming the post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's beautiful! Lovely color choices, and linen is a wonderful fabric. Lucky boy to sleep on a linen pillowcase! I like a bit of hand sewing too...it can be very relaxing in its own way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautiful quilt. It is something I am just learning and I am impressed with the finished product.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is a beautiful quilt! I am very lucky to have a good friend who quilts (is that the correct verb?) and she made one for each of my kids when they were born. I love the colours you have used - really nice combinations.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi,
    I just finished a quilt top with grey as the background too, but aqua/lime green/red as the other colors. Yours looks wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's really very very beautiful!

    ReplyDelete