|Top: Ruby (Tessuti pattern)|
Shorts: Grainline Maritime
I've been holding onto this precious remnant of Clegs digitally printed silk chiffon for just over a year. There was just enough for a tank top and when I saw the Tessuti Ruby pattern I thought it would be a good match for the large scale floral print. I probably should have had a go at drafting my own pattern as it's a very simple shape but well, I wanted to make it NOW and this was the easier option!
The top itself is an easy sew. I had actually made the dress version first (post to come) so had worked out the instructions but this silk was like butterfly wings so working with it was a bit tricky. I ended up doing a lot of hand sewing, including the rolled hem. No biggie- it seemed fitting for such special fabric.
- Pattern: Ruby top/dress, Tessuti patterns, download ($10)
- Size: 8 with an FBA (more info below)
- Fabric: 80cm remnant of digitally printed silk from Clegs ($20 ish?), underlined with what I suspect is pale green silk cotton from the opshop ($3).
|Innards - bit creased from wear|
- Did a 5/8 inch FBA using this tutorial (thanks to BloglessAnna for the link)
- Underlined the silk with silk cotton. I tacked the underlining to the silk around the edges and then sewed the two layers as one.
- Turned and hand stitched the bindings and the facing to the underlining rather than stitching in the ditch.
- Hemmed the underlining separately and slightly shorter than the silk using the machine.
- Did a hand-rolled hem on the silk using this tutorial.
- This was my first time working with silk this fine so I cut everything in a single layer, using a rotary cutter and lots of weights.
- Hand rolling a hem is a thing! (and quite relaxing). I used my tailors ham to pin sections of the hem as I worked which made it easier.
- Followed the tutorial on the Tessuti website to make the thread loop.
I really like how it turned out and it feels lovely and floaty to wear. The only downside, as has been noted by a few other bloggers, is that this top is not bra friendly (I'm wearing a strapless one in the pics).
See also: Blogless Anna , Thornberry and Boo Dogg and me